Yr Ysgwrn is not your typical Welsh farmhouse. the history and symbolism that the place represents is one of the main reasons the Snowdonia National Park Authority bought it in March 2012.
The home reflects a period of social, cultural and agricultural history at the turn of the 20th century. Hedd Wyn's life and death are representative of an entire generation of young men from Wales, Britain and Europe, who gave the ultimate sacrifice during the First World War.
By protecting and enhancing the site the Authority aims to share the story of Hedd Wyn and the universal messages of Yr Ysgwrn to all who visit. We focus on the following themes to enhance the visitor experience and understanding:
- The life and poetic legacy of Hedd Wyn
- The First World War and its context
- The bardic tradition and the Welsh language and culture
- The social history of rural Wales at the turn of the C20
- Agricultural heritage and sustainable land use
The location is peaceful, set in a landscape of moving grandeur and beauty, and we can offer opportunities for peaceful reflection at Yr Ysgwrn and promote it as a place of tranquility.